Your power base is your network of people who know you and support you, your work, and your goals. To achieve success today you must have a strong power base. No one achieves success alone. So, let’s think about how to build your power base.
Signs That You Need To Build Your Power Base
- Scarcity of opportunities
- Feeling insecure about job or career progress
- Having trouble getting things done when collaborating with others is essential
- Improving the quantity and quality of relationships would open up new opportunities
- You are in a career transition
- You are an independent professional, entrepreneur, or salesperson who must develop relationships to succeed
- Building relationships is key to achieving your goals
One-Call Away Game
Do you remember the game “Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon?” It’s a parlor game based on the “six degrees of separation” concept, which suggests that any two people on Earth are six or fewer acquaintance links apart. “That idea eventually morphed into this parlor game, wherein movie buffs challenge each other to find the shortest path between an arbitrary actor and prolific Hollywood character actor Kevin Bacon. It rests on the assumption that any individual involved in the Hollywood, California, film industry can be linked through his or her film roles to Kevin Bacon within six steps.” – Wikipedia
The one-call away game is about one or two degrees of separation.
With the One-Call Away Game you want to explore how many movers and shakers you already know. Read over the following generic list of people and give yourself 2 points if you are one-call away from this person. Give yourself 1 point if you are two calls away. One call away means they know you and will take your call today. Two calls away means you know someone who could pick up the phone and contact this person (they could introduce you.)
- Major Venture Capitalist
- CEO of a Fortune 500 Company
- CEO of a decent size bank in my community
- President of the U.S.
- State Senator
- Governor of your state
- City Mayor
- Exec Director of a Major Industry Association
- Actor or Actress on TV or Movies
- Rockstar (famous Musician)
- Professional Athlete
- Newspaper Editor
- News Anchor
- Famous Inventor
- Entrepreneur who’s taken a business public
Obviously, the higher your score, the more powerful your power base. How could you raise your score?
Write Down Your Ideal Power Base
Now take this concept and build your own list that represents what your ideal power base would look like. Who do you need to know? Who are the people, that if you had a strong relationship with them, could be powerful allies.
CAUTION: This is not about taking, but it’s about giving. Developing true, meaningful relationships begins by bringing value to others. Once you have made your list you’ll want to explore how to develop the relationship by bringing value to each person.
Once you’ve prepared your list of your ideal power base move to the next step of assessing the current relationship.
- What is the quality of the current relationship?
- What are their aspirations and goals?
- How can you help them?
- How can you nurture and improve the relationship?
- How could they help you?
If you take action today to improve your power base, your future self will thank you.
These are just a few of the ideas I use with my clients to develop their power base. This coaching framework can sometimes span a number of weeks as clients build key relationships and begin to reap dynamic results.
Among the topics/resources we work on are:
- 21 Ways to Assess Your Power Base Relationships
- 11 Ways to Understand Each Individual
- 12 Ways to Build a Powerful Relationship
- Creating an ongoing plan to improve your power base
Call today if you’d like to accelerate your success viagra suisse g. 512-516-4666